Friday 13 May 2016

Frost Giants

I saw Xintao's excellent update of some frost giants he painted using some Russian 54mm barbarian figures. They are very cheap so I thought I'd give it a go too and add them to a Kings of War army somehow ... or perhaps they can be used in a DnD scenario...

Have a look at [url]]http://theminiaturespage.com/boards/msg.mv?id=420257[/url] for more info.

When I got the figures from eBay I thought the axes were too short and the curved sword that one figure had was not to my liking. I changed the curved blade into a more typical Viking type saex by cutting it back and used green stuff to give that figure a scabbard across his front, as has been seen in Viking burials. I also cut the axe hafts and made longer hafts with wire and green stuff. I also used green stuff to add some more horsehair to their crests and some other touches.

I kept the bow as I don't mind the idea of depicting a giant with a long range weapon, although I do like Xin's spear modification. Maybe I should have bought two boxes?

The figures were not so easy to modify as the plastic is fairly soft and similar to what airfix soldiers are made from.

Here is a 'before painting' shot.

And here is a 'during painting' shot.

I'll finish them off some time but I have more KoW zombies to paint first.

3 comments:

  1. Your Modifications are awesome. Now I might have to buy a 2nd box. In retrospect I agree, I wish I had kept the Bow.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I liked your spear but I couldn't work out how to make the left arm look natural. It took a fair bit of putty to make the quiver look like it had arrows in it that were long enough for the bow :-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Beautiful work (both of you), I saw Xin's figs on the TMP, and they got me twitching on getting a set myself, your might have just pushed me over the edge!

    Cheers Roger.

    ReplyDelete